[at-l] Self Doubt (How to help a Newbie: Update 4 - Part II)

On 11 Apr 2002 at 13:29, Shane Steinkamp wrote:

> So, does this make sense?
>
> I have seen a lot of discussion about why thruhikers fail, but little
> discussion of why those who actually succeed do succeed.
>
> I know that for me, personally, it's that desire to see what's over the next
> hill, around the next bend, or on the other side of the river.
>
> I have never had any trouble starting, or finishing, but I'd like to hear
> from somebody else what their experience was - not the physical or mundane
> difficulties of what to do with all your stuff and the like - but the mental
> self doubt that what you are doing is selfish or impossible for you to do.

As one who quit with the Virginia Blues, I don't see it quite this
way.  I found the allusion to Braveheart amusing but irrelevant.

I don't see where there's anything particularly heroic about
starting or finishing a thru-hike.  I can't tell you what it takes to
succeed.  I can tell you why I didn't:  I simply lost interest.
The ratio of enjoyment to effort wasn't enough to sustain
the quest.

Weary says this is a sign of "poor hiker quality."  Oh well,
I guess I was doomed from the start, and am absolved of
any personal responsibility.  It was a genetic flaw.

OTOH, I knew and loved the AT long before my attempted
thru-hike, and I continue to hike it when I can, 12 years later.
As opposed to some succesful thru hikers who, after finishing,
never hike another mile again.

rafe b.
aka terrapin