HUFFing memories.... Re: How Hot Can You go? (was) RE: [at-l] Re: Chili

--- William Neal <nealb@midlandstech.com> wrote:
> I love hot foods.  I went to an Indian "fast-food" place in...
I felt the "burn" all afternoon.  It was great!

### I finished in near-last place in a 50k in December 2000. It
was deep in the twenties, with a hard blowing wind all day. I
remember 8"-10" of crusted-but-unpacked powder, but a magazine
article recently stated 18"[!]........ Regardless, I was
freezing my little chicken legs off (I was the website cover-boy
for a while with a beard all crusted over to one side) but the
main aid station had this "Southwestern Corn Chowder".....

The top inch of it dripping fat, the bottom inch rehydrated
pepper, the middle layer being creamed corn...... GAWD but it
was good! OH!

Came in at the end of the first loop, had two cups' worth (all I
thought was wise) and headed out to posthole another 10 miles.
And alllllll the way around, I'd belch and taste hot-peppered
corn chowder, my chest welling with heat in the steaming cold.
At first, the belches worried me -- that I'd catch a stitch and
be immobilized [even more than the now-busted sneauxie trail was
doing], but when I continued to pump my legs through the icy
detritus without paying a stitch penalty, I belched loud, long,
lovingly and free. Real quaking rips, shaking day-old sneaux off
of stark grey branches, causing birds in flight to swerve away,
scaring squirrels and chipmunks to dive 'neath the sneaux,
dropping stiff leaves from their autumn displays. *Glorious*
buuuurrrrrpps[!] full of rich flavor and peppery heat. Man!
Allllll I wanted to do was get back to that main aid station and
hit the chowder again. Forget the race!

What race? I hadn't seen anybody in forever... (Little did I
know that everyone else near me had dropped out -- a 45%! DNF
rate that year.) ... Why did I keep going? "Southwestern Corn
Chowder." JUST what the doctor ordered.

Bon Appetite!
Seranotoe

=====