[at-l] MacKaye's writings

On 10 Apr 2002 at 7:27, Jim Lynch wrote:

> Does anyone know of an on-line source for Benton MacKaye's works.  I've
> got his famous article that 'started' the AT, but would be interested in
> reading others.

Try the usual internet search engines, and you'll pick up
a fair amount, and some of the early works and essays.

Barring that, maybe try a decent public library.  It may help
to know that MacKaye was an architect by trade, and that
the original proposal for [what eventually became] the AT
appeared in an architectural journal in the early 1920s.

Also worth noting that the trail, per se, was not a major part
of his plan, but rather a string of settlements, deep in the
woods, on mountain tops, where folks would stay for days
or weeks at a time, practicing various crafts, agriculture,
forestry, whatever.  MacKaye specifically had in mind an
environment that would serve as an antidote to the psychic
ills of big-city life.

It is no accident that the trail runs to within a few dozen miles
of New York City.

rafe b.
aka terrapin