[at-l] Hiker "quality"

Jim & Tom write:
">I'd like to suggest that the *quality* of thruhikers has not in fact
>declined.  But, as in most endeavors dealing with humans ... as the
>popularity and availability of a sport increases, so does the likelihood
>that a few bad apples will find a way to take advantage of the system.

Tom -
I could be wrong about this, but I think over the last few years, the number
of thruhikers hasn't increased significantly while the "incidents" on the
Trail have.  I don't have numbers - maybe ATC does. But I listen - to the
hikers, to the service providers, to the maintainers."

 The hiker/camper/Ranger interactions at Baxter have received much negative
comment over the last few years. The low points being the bootleg climbers
during the October blizzard a few years back, the group that tented on the
Tableland last September, and the photo mailed to the Director of hikers with
a dog at the summit all giving him the finger. But it's these negative
actions that get heard about, no one ever mentions the hundreds who finish in
fine form. I think the proportion of 'bad behavior' hasn't really changed,
it's the extent and extremes of the 'bad stuff.' And probably the improved
ability to communicate about those stories has much to do with the perception
of 'bad stuff' increasing.
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html