[at-l] Stiffed by Hiker

LOL!!!!!

Clark -
I'd already gone to bed before this came in last night -- but I wouldn't
want you to mis-characterize "jarhead justice" as you did.  It rarely, if
ever, involved "beating up" on anyone - and when it did, it was entirely
justified.  "Jarhead justice" was far more inventive than you imagine.  And
far more fair, effective and actual "justice" than what most of those in
this country mis-characterize as "justice".  I hope you realize that what's
dispensed in our court system isn't "justice" but the rule of law.  And
they're entirely different things.

Now - I can introduce you to the "justice system" you envisioned last night
if you wish. But I don't think you'd like it very much.  In fact, having
been (a long time ago) much too close to that "justice" system", I wouldn't
care to go back there either.  There are of course, other "justice" systems
- have you ever witnessed a "necklacing"?  Swift, brutal, and final, but
certainly not fair - and the defendant has no "rights" at all.  Then there's
a friend of mine who spent a year in a Third World jail for dispensing
"justice" - he beheaded the man who killed his baby daughter, raped his wife
and then dared him to do something about it.  Vigilante justice is certainly
chancy - but like anything else, it has its positive points.

Even on the Trail, there's a rough "justice" system that has no relationship
to courts or lawyers - or beating people up.  Ask the two guys who made
loud, obnoxious anti-Semitic remarks one year.  The AT is a really tough
trail when your fellow hikers won't talk to you.  They even tried changing
their Trail names - it didn't work.  One of them "may" have finished - but
if he did, he did so alone and friendless.

What you ran into wasn't "justice", had nothing to do with "jarheads" and
very nicely proves one of the points that I didn't try to make - that
ultimate "safety", both on and off trail, lies only in your own ability and
willingness to deal with personal violence - anytime, anyplace.

Walk softly,
Jim