[at-l] Stiffed by Hiker

Clark Wright wrote:
>Whether you or I consider it nonsense or not, it is in fact and law
>illegal in most states to threaten criminal prosecution as a means to
>collect on a check - sorry, but that simply is the law.  The reason for
>it probably is twofold:  (1) the overburdened criminal justice system
>does not want to deal with relatively small amount bad check cases as
>criminal offenses; and (2) because there are potential extenuating
>circumstances, the initial presumption re bad checks is to treat them as
>civil offenses [in the nature of collecting on a debt] and not criminal
>offenses.
>
>hiking on, gavel in tow! :)

Clark -
I never doubted your knowledge of the legalities - but I still consider it
nonsense and understand very well why people would (as you pointed out)
consistently ignore it. Of course, when I was an active Jarhead, we had
other cures for those who failed to pay their debts.  They didn't do it
twice.  But those weren't politically correct   :-)))

Walk softly,
Jim