[at-l] Re: Taking mom hiking

a few years ago, I took my daughter and my neice backpacking.  Since my neice
had never been backpacking before and we were starting out late on Friday, I
dropped them and the packs off at the AT crossing of Arden Valley Road in
Harriman Park (NY) and drove down the hill to park the car.  At the crossing,
we met the parents of a list member who along with another thruhiker, was being
slack packed for a few days. (I won't mention the lister's name for fear that
someone will demand that he return his patch for being slack packed).  When I
came back up the hill, we waited for the hikers to appear to say hello.  Then
we took a short hike to Fingerboard Shelter where we spent Friday night.  Since
my neice complained about the lack of challenge, instead of the difficulty, we
took a long circle the next morning to get back to the car on Sunday. But I
digress.  My point was that there are shelters along the AT that are within a
short distance of parking that cen be used to introduce mom, (or whomever) to
backpacking with a bailout close at hand.
Rich