[at-l] Zion, Bryce, North Rim Day Hikes

We spent a week one year at Bryce and another week the next year at
Zion. Bryce is absolutely fantastic, the park is mostly above 8000 feet
and is very pleasant during the summer, 70 degree days and 50 degree
nights. There are lots of trails and all that we hiked were great with
lots of interesting things to see. Great trees and rock formations.

Zion was also great but hot, I think it is a couple thousand feet lower
and it was on the hot side. 90's and above. But it also has great
trails, Angels Landing is not to be missed if you are not afraid of
heights, another one with great views but no quite so exposed is Hanging
Valley (I think that's right). These trails have very substantial height
gains, I think Hanging Valley was 2000 feet altitude gain in one mile.

At either of these parks plan on bringing a LOT of water. I don't know
if you've hiked out there but you can, and should, use a gallon or so
day per person. We would make sandwiches back at the campground and
within 10 minutes they would be dry and hard from the low humidity.

But these are both great places, don't miss the Narrows but be sure to
bring some footwear to wear in the water since there is wading involved.
Old athletic shoes were the recommended shoes, sandals will result in
banged up toes from the rocks on the riverbed.

We tried the North Rim twice but the campgrounds were always full, you
may want to make reservations.

Bryan