[at-l] Hiker "quality"

>  and the "quality" of the thruhikers has
> evidently declined, thus adversely affecting the availability and
> "friendliness" of the services.

I'd like to suggest that the *quality* of thruhikers has not in fact
declined.  But, as in most endeavors dealing with humans ... as the
popularity and availability of a sport increases, so does the likelihood
that a few bad apples will find a way to take advantage of the system.   We
always hear about the bad things people do.  but, seldom hear of the good.
Do you have statistics and other facts to support your assumption?  Has the
actual percentage of  bad apples (hikers) vs. total hikers increased over
the yrs?     For this one incident, just how many hikers actually pay their
bills??   I'd guess a whole heck of a lot more than don't.   But, then, I'm
just guessing.  I'd really be interested in knowing any hard facts.

I hope Jensene helps to catch this guy.  However, you most likely will never
get your money back.   It is grass roots activism like this which will make
the greatest impact on crime in society.

t.