[at-l] Trail Lingo??? Water..

>Mayhaps it's my predilection for 'asking Miriam', but I have been
>tapped to prepare a Glossary of Terms for the 2003 Companion.
>
>I'm working on water right now. and need any terms commonly applied
>to springs and other water sources?  You know...trail lingo????
>
>Any suggestions?   Thanx

Here's a start, I'm sure there are many others.

Amount of water: gusher, dripper, flowing

Quality of water: stagnant, good spring, drainage

Location of water: always too far away from shelter, but described as
.1 miles!, very far down, or very, very far down.

Other terms: lots of floaters or floaties, turbid,

Local terms: creek, stream, river,

Suggestion to those who filter: Whenever I've asked at diners along
the AT or the LT I've been given a fresh, new coffee filter. (I
always offer to pay a dime or a quarter, they always refuse to take
my money). From one filter I can make 4 pre-filters to help with
keeping my filter clean when dealing with muddy water sources. Still
I've had to be diligent about cleaning my filter when in town. --RD
--
Arthur D. Gaudet        	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer) 	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH