[at-l] Stiffed by Hiker

  [Kahley:]
  I got caught.  Had my finger prints taken and mug shot. Went to court.
  Got my name in the paper.   I have never stolen a thing since that day.
I had a boss once (the only one I ever respected) who, when coaching me, made the comment that failing to appropriately and fairly apply discipline to an employee as soon as it was warranted was more of a disservice than "letting it slide this time" to give the person a bit of a break.

In the long run, the lesson learned will stick with the person far longer and will have a much stronger impact than letting them off the hook will ever do.

Bravo Kahley for sharing this painful lesson and it's powerful effect.  You are absolutely right.  If it was some sort of a mistake (which seems unlikely, but is not relevant) it still needs to be corrected.  This person is probably out of the state in which the check was used.  If that is the case, it has gone beyond simple collections methods and is now an interstate legal issue.  If the check was passed intentionally, the legal process (including the implied threat of prosecution) is the appropriate disciplinary action.

-r

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---