[at-l] Re: Zion, Bryce, North Rim Day Hikes

Another poster said to know the weather forecast when entering slot
canyons, but didn't
elaborate.

The concern is related to the number of flash floods that occur in slot
canyons.

Because small streams drain large areas, it is possible for a thunderstorm
too far away to
be seen or heard (much less felt), could result in a flash flood where you
are.  The Virgin
River (which runs through the Narrows) is well known for flash flooding.
As you walk through
it you can see how deep the water gets at times.  The danger is especially
great in the
canyons because the walls are steep and offer no chance to escape.

In addition to avoiding going into slot canyons when there is a good chance
of a storm, you
might also want to plan to be out by early afternoon to avoid being caught
by an unexpected
afternoon thunder storm.

You've selected three great parks to visit, and the time you've aloted will
do them justice.

Have a great trip.

Marc