[at-l] Thinking About Ticks - Long

If you are going to have ticks, those two are the best type. You want to
prevent with long sleeves and pants, gaitors and avoiding sitting on stumps
or ground. You are quite correct in your descriptions of the problem of
tick checks, also known as Rednect Foreplay. It simply isn't done by anyone
on a consistent basis.

The idea is to bathe yourself the best you can at least every other day
with a sponge bath using whatever is handy. Bandanas are the most common,
but camp towels and such would do fine. You want to scrub effectively. You
want to do this away from your sleeping bag for obvious reasons, perhaps
behind the shelter or at the privy. I didn't know that modesty was hiker value.

At least in NC, you have the reassurance that Lyme disease is less common
that Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, as faint an assurance as that is.

OrangeBug