[at-l] Possibly OT- Woodpeckers, All they can be!

Army Develops Pilot Program to Protect Base, Woodpeckers

By WILLIAM L. HOLMES
.c The Associated Press

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (April 8) - Environmentalists bent on protecting endangered
species have a new - and formidable - ally: the U.S. Army.

As a federal agency, the Army has long been required to protect flora and
fauna that are declared endangered. At Fort Bragg, a 167,000-acre post
adjoining Fayetteville, work to protect and restore the red-cockaded
woodpecker began at least a decade ago.

The effort only recently became a joint project of the military and The
Nature Conservancy, an international environmental group. The collaboration
is serving as a pilot program for the Army and a model for bases across the
country.

And it serves the soldiers as well as the birds: By restricting development
on the fringes of Fort Bragg, the Army can avoid fights with potential
neighbors over the noise and disruption of military training.

North Carolina's Sandhills region is home to the second-largest red-cockaded
woodpecker population in the world.

Army bases throughout the Southeast have been called on to protect the
species, which makes its home in the dwindling longleaf pine ecosystem that
once stretched unbroken from Virginia to Texas.

The Public Lands Initiative of the U.S. Army Environmental Center has
committed $9.4 million to the program at Fort Bragg, and the North Carolina
chapter of The Nature Conservancy has agreed to add at least $7 million.

The money will help buy land and secure conservation easements that will
prevent building near the post, said Col. Stan H. Lillie, commander of the
Army's environmental center.

The program will keep encroaching developers at bay, increase the amount of
land available for training and help Bragg better manage the red-cockaded
woodpecker populations on the post and nearby.

''This is the time. We've got to do something now,'' Lillie said. ''We've
recognized for a long time it was going to take more than the resources we
had available for us to accomplish what we needed to accomplish.''

The partnership was announced in January, as the state Department of
Transportation, The Nature Conservancy and the Army agreed to share
management of a 2,500-acre tract in Hoke County that borders Fort Bragg.

The land is prime woodpecker habitat, with up to five mating pairs and 25
birds.

The state agency bought the land for $5.3 million to help make up for
woodpecker land it may destroy as it builds highways. While the department
will retain ownership, it has agreed to turn over care of the land to The
Nature Conservancy and pay $600,000 into a management fund. The Nature
Conservancy and the Army agreed to pay $150,000 each into the fund.

In exchange for its contribution, the Army has been given access to the land
for small unit tactical training.

The program also increases the protected range of the red-cockaded
woodpecker. About 10 years ago, the Army's obligation to help protect and
restore the species brought training at the base to a near-standstill while
officials hashed out how to keep their work from hurting the birds.

Since 1995, the Army Environmental Center has secured conservation easements
on about 2,200 acres surrounding Fort Bragg to ease the environmental
pressure, but has never had a partner until now.

''Folks outside may laugh and snicker, but (woodpecker protection) is on our
mission list, and we take it seriously,'' said Col. Tad Davis, the base's
garrison commander. ''This program is vital to Fort Bragg's future.''

The program may also help the Army across the country, Lillie said. He and
other officials are looking for partners who will help them protect land
around installations under pressures similar to those at Fort Bragg.

Most of the land on Army bases is in good condition because it receives light
use, said Bill Millen, a senior policy adviser for The Nature Conservancy's
national office in Arlington, Va. Even firing ranges and other intensely used
areas are about 97 percent buffer land, he said.

''Some of the best biodiversity in America is on military lands,'' Millen
said.

For example, Fort Hood in Texas has to fulfill its military mission with an
eye on the golden cheek warbler and black-cap vireo, and installations in
California have been drawn into the protection of the desert tortoise.

Residents who live near bases often complain about the noise and traffic that
accompany exercises and often win concessions that limit the training, Lillie
said.

Much of Fort Bragg still lies next to rural, undeveloped areas. The Army
wants to protect those areas as subdivisions, horse farms, golf courses and
other development move closer.

Katherine Skinner, executive director of The Nature Conservancy's state
office, said the model created at Fort Bragg will work elsewhere as long as
conservationists and the military understand each other's needs.

''We took a leap of faith that we could stand some light Army training,'' she
said. ''I have no idea what is going to happen, but that really doesn't
bother us at this juncture.''

Skinner said her group and the Army will continue to look for tracts around
Fort Bragg that fit both their missions.

''How that will develop is anybody's guess,'' she said. ''Our goal is to make
it all work.''

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---