[at-l] Zion, Bryce, North Rim Day Hikes

We did those in conjunction with a falmily reuinion in Vegas a few years
back.  Excelent combo.

I don't remember all the trail names, but I dont think you can go wrong.  On
the road to Zion from Vegas you may want to consider a very short detour to
a real ghost town of Grafton.  No tourist BS but the real thing.  I
understand that a couple scenes from Butch Casidy And the SDK were filmed
there.  Kind of neat, saw a roadrunner there as a bonus.  Total detour would
be about an hour.  People are into Ghost towns and you can find directions
on the web.  Turn-offs are not marked locally.

In Zion, The Narrows is kind of neat.  If you have never hiked in a slot
canyon, it is rather cool.  Plus in the Park you can check with the rangers
to make sure that it is prudent to do so (if you find your own canyon you
need to know what you are doing and check weather wise).  It is super
popular in and out so you would want to get there early for the best
experience.  Worth it in my opinion.  You walk in water up to you waist in
parts.

A loop through the floor of Bryce was perhaps the most spectacular part of
all.  Just incredibly beautiful.

Found some interesting places to hike on the North Rim.  When one trail
ended we took a gypsy trail to one spot that was kind of neat.  When we got
around to see where e had been hiking from the other side my wife and I
looked at each other and said "holy shit" in unison.  The precipitous drop
off was not evident from where we were walking.  Really cool to discover
that!  Don't remeber the name, but if you are interested.  Saw a bunch of
turkeys and some cool lizards.

On the way back from the North Rim (to Vegas) we passed a place called Pipe
Stem National Monument.  Found it described in some of the local liturature.
  If you like historical stuff, it was well worth the short detour.  Saw a
Coyotee there sizing up some penned in chickens.

Rick Boudrie