[at-l] winter clothing list--starting early March

I won't tell you what to carry, but you might want to be aware that on
the AT, once something is wet, it usually stays that way. If something
is dry, it will be wet as soon as you put it on and walk for an hour.

The crotch rashes are not caused by bacteria in your skivvies. It is
caused first by chaffing or friction against that skin. Since there is
ample moisture in that dark warm region, bacterial colonization and
yeast infections are pretty common as you try to waddle your way down
the trail.

There are a few cures/preventions. 1) Coolmax lined skivvies with lots
of Spandex and Lycra (someone mentioned seeing them at Target for about
$13 or half price of most gear shops); 2) No underwear; 3) Lots of
diaper creme to both reduce the friction and treat the superficial
cellulitis.

The idea of a latex glove over liners is known as a vapor barrier
glove. It can work if you use it before you get freeze bite to your
fingers. Glove liners and a wind block mitten or glove over layer may
work also. I have attempted it unsuccessfully with liners and latex
exam gloves, but had already injured several fingers and kept
relatively numb digits for about 3 weeks.

I'd prefer you spent more time with washing yourself via a quick sponge
bath every day or every other day. It is not all that possible to keep
clothes clean and dry on the trail. A sponge bath helps reduce your BO,
and is an effective tick check/removal exercise.

Bill...