[at-l] Taking mom hiking

Depending on where your mother lives (New Mexico perhaps?), you might
want to first find out what her abilities are regarding terrain.
Backpacking usually involves carrying a backpack with gear, and does
not have to be terribly heavy. There is such a thing as slackpacking,
or having someone meet you with gear at a prearranged time and place.

I think you need to know what she means by "basic low mileage hikes"
and what climbs and descents she can manage. We can tell you a bit
about places to walk on the AT that are pretty tame and pretty wicked.
I've been to New Mexico, and know that you have some pretty broad
opportunities for hikes out there, also. However, the water situation
and snake/bug situation is a bit different from out east.

So, what terrain and how "crippled" is she?

Welcome to the campfire, BTW.

Bill...