[at-l] Newbie questions

In a message dated 4/6/02 10:56:01 AM, AHuthmaker@aol.com writes:

<<        Do I really need a 'foot print' to go along with my tent?  At 11
oz.
and 35.00, it seems like I can do just as well with a sheet of tough plastic.

The footprint is a carryover from when tents did not come with built-in
floors.  Everyone carried a ground cloth to keep  a dry and clean floor.  Now
the footprint/ground cloth protects the bottom of the tent from wear.  I've
met many theu hikers who did not bother with a ground cloth.  It is not
essential.  There is no rule that says you have to have one.  If it were
required every tent maker would include that in the purchase of the tent.
The ground cloth helps extend the life of the tent.

                                            Art