[at-l] Hiking Stick/monopod

At 09:54 AM 4/5/02 -0500, Bob C. wrote:
>My  Komperdell,  combined  cork  pole tip, strap and compass arrived in
>the mail
>yesterday. Many thanks to whoever made the suggestion. BTW, the price has
>jumped
>from $10 to $12.
>...clip...
>  I  then  took  a  1/4-20  hex  head  bolt,  three-quarters of an inch
> long, and
>  tightened to it a 1/4-20 hex head nut (total cost 9 cents) so that I
> ended with
>  a  half  inch  of  combined  hex  head bolt and hex nut, with a quarter
> inch of
>  thread  remaining.  I then drilled a half inch deep and half inch round
> hole in
>  the  now  somewhat  cooked end of my alder stick, coated the inside of
> the hole
>  with  five  minute  epoxy  glue and inserted the nut and bolt, leaving
> only the
>  quarter inch of thread protruding. In the meantime, I attached to the
> bottom of
>  the  stick  a  soft  rubber  crutch  tip (57 cents) from our local ACE
> Hardware
>  Store.

BTW - I had to be in the local hardware store a couple of days ago on
another errand and checked.  Yes, they do have studs that can be had with a
ΌΧ20 screw thread on one end.  They are called "automotive studs" and are
1½" long.  That saves the effort of cutting off a bolt head or having to
drill a larger hole to accomodate the head.  FWIW

sAunTerer