[at-l] Optimum Weight maintenance on a Thru=-Hike

> ### I think it was (future Triple Crown hiker) Karen Berger who
> popularized the idea that it was not possible to carry
> sufficient calories on the Trail, and that gorging in town was
> necessary in order to not waste away. (This was her Penn
> master's thesis, btw.)
>
> ### Unfortunately, this fiction has been perpetuated.

I'd like to read that.  Any links?

I have actually experienced this phenomenon, only once, but I can't imagine
it being true on the AT.  It's only true if you are crossing terrain over
long distances with no hope of native foods and no hope of resupply.  It
only happened to me once, where I decided I didn't want to pay for an air
drop to resupply.  There was just no way I could carry three and a half
weeks worth of food in that terrain, considering all the water I had to
carry, so I ended up hungry (and thirsty, BTW).

If you are loosing large amounts of weight on the trail, you were either way
too fat to start with, or you aren't eating right.

> ### Short story? Listen to your body, and FEED IT what it wants.

This is SO important!

Shane