Re[3]: [at-l] A Question Of Trail and other inanities

"...The original (as I wrote it - not as you re-wrote it) read -
>The  guy is an ignoramus, but his ignorance is no dumber than the idea that ALL
>private  land  should be subject to public taking at the whim of the government
>(in  particular for the creation of "wilderness") particularly (as RnR seems to
>believe  it  should  be) without compensation or justification." reports Jim in
>claiming I misquoted him when left out parenthetical material.

Well,  I'll  admit  that  Jim  tries to put too much into a single sentence that
makes  it  confusing,  but let's try to break it down. First he claims RnR is an
ignoramus.  Which  isn't  true. RnR can be wordy, preachy and irritating, but he
knows a lot about the trail.

Then  Jim says his (I assume RnR) ignorance "is no dumber than the idea that ALL
(emphasis  Jim's) private land should be subject to public taking at the whim of
the government (in particular for the creation of "wilderness") particularly (as
RnR seems to >believe it should be) without
compensation or justification."

As  the  English  language  is  used  by most people, material in parentheses is
parenthetical to the point of the sentence and not essential to the meaning.

 Omitting  the  gratuitous  slam  at  RnR which I think the list is grossly over
doing,  and  the parenthetical information, the sentence reads, "(H)is ignorance
is  no  dumber  than  the idea that ALL private land should be subject to public
taking  at  the  whim  of  the  government  particularly without compensation or
justification."

I  don't  know  of  anyone  on  the list who believes this is true and I'm quite
confident that RnR doesn't believe this.

As  for  the  other points Jim makes, I once fell into the trap of answering his
many  questions.  It  served  only  to bore the list and lead to more rhetorical
questions. So I try not to play that game any more.

Obviously,  not  all  land  in  Maine  sells  for  $200 an acre. But land in the
uuorganized  townships  far  from  any  public roads routinely has sold for this
amount.  The  National Park Service bought most of the 30,000 acres it purchased
in Maine to protect the trail for around that price.

Lately  the  price  has  gone  up  as  speculators  have  discovered  the state.
Twenty-five  years  ago I bought a 23 acre wood lot for $50 an acre located just
three miles from the open ocean. When I gave the wood lot to the land trust 3 or
4  years  ago,  it  was  appraised  at  just over $1,000 an acre, somewhat to my
surprise.  Since  our household income isn't very high, the gift meant we didn't
have to pay federal or state income taxes for a couple of years.

About  five  years ago our land trust paid $145,000 for 253 acres, including 3/4
of  a  mile  of  water  frontage,  and a half mile of tarred road frontage. That
figures  to  somewhat  less  than  $600  an acre. No gimmicks were involved. The
property  was  listed  with a real estate broker and we paid the price the owner
was asking.

The  Nature  Conservancy  recently  bought  a  half million acres of woodland. I
forget the price and don't have time to look it up, but I'll be surprised if the
price  was  significantly more than $200 an acre. All these prices were based on
appraised values.

The  Forest  Society  of  Maine, a private land trust, purchased the development
rights  to  a million acres for about $35 an acre. Most commentators thought the
society paid too much.

All  kinds of acreages were bandied about during the 20-year Saddleback dispute.
The  final  settlement  involves some fee lands and some easement lands. I don't
have the figures at hand, but I'll look them up if anyone is interested.

Sorry  I misremembered the price that the government paid for it's hammer. I get
confused  sometimes  about  15  year  old  matters.  Yes. Jim. I'm amused that I
remembered  the  price  wrong.  But  I  am  not amused with the "confrontational
asininity"  you rightly report on the list. I think you should stop being one of
the perpetrators.

Weary