[at-l] longevity counts... topic police: I'll say it ---- having been.....

--- rafe.bustin@verizon.net wrote:
> I don't accept that any list member has more (or less) rights
> based on longevity or wisdom.  You can earn respect for either
or both of these, but rights are another matter entirely.  To
suggest that you or Kahley have more rights than Weary or RnR is
laughable.

### Not laughable at all.
First, keep in mind that k and JimO and Red and Elf-age and
Pittsia (who?) and OB and Sly and Navigator and POG and WildBill
and Earthworm and Chase and Dee and sAunTerer and Mrs. Gorp and
RonFallingwater and ...[so many!] were part of this list long
before me, so I do *not* write as someone attempting to claim
undue credit.

Second, there are many other listers who've lurked since
forever, and their longevity does not equate to any sort of list
status (nor, on their part, are they looking for it).

Third, to the extent that we've got new listers here, such as
yourself, Rami, JanLiteshoo, Shane [stopping at four] who've
rolled in and been material contributors right from the getgo,
hats are off to you.

But here's the thing:
Just to point to kahley and JimO, these persons have been on
this list, *contributing,* for YEARS. To the extent that this
list has history, it is because of them and them like them. To
the extent that this list has EVER *organized* something, that
something has somewhere in its workings the efforts of kahley
and JimO and them like 'em. To the extent that this list offers
any sort of haven for those seeking reaffirmation of a value
system that does not depend on hair style, shine of your car, or
other materialism, but instead on the beat of your heart and the
sweat of your brow, *that* credit belongs to them who can
qualify as list stalwarts: kahley and JimO and them like 'em.

Your post states:
> I don't accept that any list member has more (or less) rights
> based on longevity or wisdom.  You can earn respect for either
> or both of these, but rights are another matter entirely.
### According respect (based on what I've written above) may be
pretty easy to grant. But I'd warrant you this: contributions to
this list make this list *yours*. (Heard that before, have ye?)
And to the extent that kahley and JimO (and them like 'em) have
made more contributions to this list FOR YEARS, YOU BET YOUR ASS
they have a greater stake, and more rights, than the rest of us.
And with a moment's thought -- putting together the fact that if
we're lucky and they stick around, they may *continue* their
contributing behavior -- it is in YOUR best interest to accord
them those rights, as *they* will likely be making the at-l you
enjoy benefits from tomorrow.

Kahley, JimO, speak for me regularly.
*Even* if I don't *always* agree.
Sloetoe at-l'98