[at-l] (Guest Post) I regret to inform the Hiking Community

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Coosa <lorac4491@linkamerica.net>.
* Please use <mailto:lorac4491@linkamerica.net> to reply to the sender.

Dear AT-Lers,

One of the women who was planning to start on the journey of her life on April 13 of this year, passed away suddently on March 27 of a Pulmonary Embolism.

Denise DeLisle of Washington State will not be starting her Thru as planned.  The Trail Name of "Journey" will not be read in the Shelter Logs or on an on-line Trail Journal.

Her family is planning a service "at the start of the AT" in Georgia in May (date has not been set) and exactly whether than means Amicalola Falls or Springer, I'm not sure.  I will inform the Hiking Community when I know more.

The Family has requested that:  Contributions in Denise's name may be mailed to:
   The Appalachian Trail Conference
    PO Box 807
  Harpers' Ferry, W. Va.  25425
ID# 13728

If you have questions or comments, you may contact her sister Susan directly at quepasamac@aol.com

Some of us over on the Women Hiker's list have started making plans to purchase a brick (or two) for the Friendship Path in Damascus, VA, so that we can honor Denise's memory for years to come.  I will let you all know more as I know more.  I will be collecting a dollar or two from those interested once we find out how much a brick will cost.  One of the Women Hikers will be working on a design, others are working on the wording.  Any addition moneys collected over the cost of the brick(s) will be donated to the ATC in Denise's name.

If you are interested in contributing to the brick fund, please wait for my post about where to send money, etc.  This would be over and above any contributions as mentioned above.  I will be creating a greeting card and will include the Trail Names and other information of those donating to the brick fund to be presented to the family and another for any additional contribution to the ATC.

This is an especially sad time for those of us who corresponded with Denise.  It's especially sad for those who are planning to Thru-Hike this year and hoped to meet Denise on the Trail.

Thank you, Hiking Community, for your support.  Please feel free to convey your sympathy to the family at the email address above.

Auntie Coosa
lorac4491@linkamerica.net