[at-l] Sleeping pad, My finaly decision... I think

>So what were your choices, and what did you finally settle on?

Note:  At the start of my 2000 test hike, my sleep system (pad+bag)
       combined for approximatley 10% of the total weight of my gear. By
       the end of my 2001 thruhike, my sleep system was 20% of the total
       weight. It is clear where my priorities are :-). Your priorities
       and needs might be different. Do what works for you.

Here are my choices, and what I was thinking when I made them.

Springer 2000: 3/4 length Ridgerest. "I've never been out for more than
one night before, but I know that 'Light is Right'."

Neels Gap 2000: Dumped the 3/4 length Ridgerest and bought a 3/4 length
Thermarest Ultralight. "I'm a 190 lbd side sleeper. What the heck was I
thinking trying to skimp on padding?"

Weekend Hikes during 2000: [Tried all of the combinations later used
on my thruhike... payed close attention to the comfort/weight
tradeoffs of each]

Springer 2001: Full length Thermarest Backpacker AND 3/4 Thermarest
Ultralight. "Yes, two Thermarests is overkill. At some point one of them
will go home. Thanks to other changes, my total packweight is still
lower than at Springer last year. But dammit, I want to sleep well!"

Fontana Dam 2001: Sent home the full length Thermarest, keeping only the
3/4 Thermarest Ultralight. "I'm sleeping well enough now that I can get
by without two pads."

Hot Springs, NC 2001: Added half of a 3/4 Ridgerest as a pad for under
my feet. Also served as a sit-pad while eating or taking a break.

DWG, PA 2001: Full length Ridgerest Deluxe AND 3/4 Thermarest
Ultralight. "I've lost more than 30 pounds. I'm a boney mess, and I'm
not sleeping well. I need more padding again." This system lasted all
the way to Katahdin.

Going forward, I will probably use a full length Ridgerest (not the
Deluxe version) in tandem with my 3/4 Thermarest Ultralight. This
combination weighs 30 ounces but is VERY plush. It also adds comfort
where I need it (upper body) instead of where I don't (at the feet).

Cheers.

-Mark Rebuck http://www.markrebuck.com/ mark@markrebuck.com