[at-l] LASIK

FYI:

   I just had LASIK performed in early February. I did it for two reasons,
both hiking related: I dropped my glasses on a steep rocky trail one time,
and it took me 10 minutes to find them. I was screwed if I didn't find them
'cause I'm just that blind. Second reason: Sweating caused my lenses to fog
in all seasons. No lenses, no fogging...SWEET!!!

   Now a month later I would have to say it is the (pay attention
gearheads!!!) best equipment purchase I have made in my entire life. It is
actually quite expensive and not covered by any insurance plans (except for
the US Military!!!) so you need to get creative in paying for it. I used my
pre-tax flexible health care spending account. That's the employer sponsored
plan that takes pre-tax dollars out of your paycheck for un-reimbursed
medical expenses like deductibles, eye glasses, etc. The Congress has
allowed LASIK as a valid use of this plan. It is not considered plastic
surgery, which is specifically disallowed under these plans. You need to
plan ahead however. My particular operation ran $3,600. Not inexpensive.
Just have the doctor say he did one eye in December and one in January and
you can get the whole thing covered pre-tax by spanning it over two years.

   I used an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) instead of one of those clinics
for personal reasons. I am happy with the doctor. I'm not saying you
shouldn't go the other route, it just wasn't for me and I can't report on
what the experience was like.

   Now as to the procedure, let me just say I'm glad I didn't need to do
that twice!! It is somewhat uncomfortable, I hesitate to say painful, and
certainly very unsettling. If anyone is interested, just reply back and I
can give you all the gory details. They do NOT anesthetize you, they do give
you a dose of anti-anxiety pills (a double in my case)... Take them, you
will need them, drink heavily before hand as well, it will enhance the
experience (just kidding)...

   I have been wearing glasses since I was 4 years old, the new experience
of wide angle 20/20 vision is at times overwhelming to me. In the first week
I got dizzy a few times when so many things happened in my perphial vision,
that I never was able to focus on before, distracted me! Really wierd. But
now a month plus later, my vision is perfect. You do need to wait, it does
take a week or two for your brain to adjust to you new eyes.

   To sum up, listen to those Nike ads and JUST DO IT !!!