[at-l] Receipe: Scalloped Tomatoes

I, The Turtle named William, was asked about scalloped tomatoes.  I've =
been
doing my version for years since a cafeteria lady gave me a =
down-and-dirty
version.  I've experimented with it off and on.  But I decided to go =
out and
do some surfing for a recipe.  And I found the following at
            http://hillbillyhousewife.elysiumgates.com/index.html
<http://hillbillyhousewife.elysiumgates.com/index.html> =20
Since it is Hillbilly Housewife, I thought it would be better to post =
it and
my version - which is looser -- instead of just my version.  Both are =
more
oriented to at home cooking, and I intend to use it while camping.  The =
only
problem I see is getting fresh tomatoes or carry canned tomatoes.
=20
Hillbilly Housewife Scalloped Tomatoes
=B7           7 or 8 slices of toast
=B7     2  28 ounce cans of tomatoes
=B7     2 tablespoons sugar
=B7     1/2 teaspoon salt
=B7     1/8 teaspoon pepper
=B7     1 tablespoon dry onion
=B7     1/4 cup margarine
First toast your bread.  I use the heels from a couple of loaves, plus =
any
leftover bread I may have on hand.  You can toast the bread in the oven
instead of the toaster if you like.  Lay the bread out on a cookie =
sheet and
bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.  This is a good way to do it =
if
the kids have mangled the bread and it won't fit in the toaster.  After =
you
toast the bread, cut it into small cubes.  Oil a 3 quart casserole dish =
or a
9" by 13" rectangular baking pan.  In the casserole or baking dish, =
combine
all of the ingredients except the margarine.  Sort of stir and scoop =
the
bread and tomatoes together with the seasonings until it is well mixed. =
 Now
cut the margarine into pieces and dot it on top of the tomatoes and =
bread.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake it at 350 degrees for about =
30
minutes.  Remove the tin foil for the last few minutes of baking if =
desired.
To Use Fresh Tomatoes: Cut up about 7 cups of fresh tomatoes, don't =
bother
to peel them.  Proceed exactly as directed above, except cook the dish =
for
45 minutes.  Scalloped Tomatoes tastes very good prepared with fresh
tomatoes, so keep it in mind when the garden is exploding in the =
summer.
FROM:=20
http://hillbillyhousewife.elysiumgates.com/index.html
<http://hillbillyhousewife.elysiumgates.com/index.html> =20
=20
My loose version:
Layer "stale" bread in a pan.  On top of bread layer onions and cheese.
Season as you will. Repeat.  Bake in an oven about 350 to 400.  Check =
every
now and again by sticking clean knife in it. =20
=20
I've done it on a stove top.  I just simmer the ingredients until it =
reaches
a consistency I prefer.
=20
Also, I've added canned milk or whole milk & mayo.  Plus I've added =
bits and
pieces of meat.  And I almost always added butter & hot sauce.
=20
William, The Hungry Turtle
=20

multipart/alternative