[at-l] Iodine/hypothyroidism

I know. Initially, you _may_ have had a bit of hyperthyroidism, or at least
elevated blood levels of T3 and T4, when you first had inflammation
attacking your thyroid follicles. Now, following the inflammation, you
essentially have a thyroidectomy completed by nature - without a visible
scar. You have to take replacement thyroid, and periodically worry about
the consistency of Synthroid and the generics. Sinse you are not producing
thyroid on your own, I don't understand your doctor's advice against
iodized salt, as I doubt it matters for you anyway. You don't make thyroid
hormone, hence you don't need or store iodide.

But back to the trail issue, the worry about iodine water treatments is
pretty much overdone. If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, you are going to
get ill and need treatment regardless of how or where you treat your water.
If you have certain allergies to iodinated dyes, you probably should avoid
iodine treatments. If you are filtering your water, you don't have much
realistic need for additional iodine (as in purifiers) in North America.
Iodine remains a reasonable backup to use for water purification and first
aid cleansing of wounds.

OrangeBug