OK, I'll say it: Re: [at-l] Now ---- having been.....

>  Jim. How do you propose that we segregate those who seek to continue the "trail
>  advocacy" that somehow managed to create this marvelous trail, from those not
>  interested in such matters? It's the nature of advocacy to seek to influence
>  the broadest public audience.

	Who's talking about 'segregating' anyone? The idea is obviously to
better focus discussions - the at-l will simply continue to be a place
for hiking conversations and the 'fluff' some folks have railed against,
while the new list will be for the serious conversations on
environmental issues and trail advocacy. Folks can belong to both lists
after all.

>  I can't think of anything less useful then to spend one's time preaching to the
>  converted. Advocates inevitably will present their message on a list that has
>  the greatest number of participants. Does Ryan truly want fewer people to
>  participate?

	Why would fewer participate? Is someone going to drop out of both at-l
and the environmental list because all of the discussions are not  in
one place? If anything, this should increase participation, as those who
are turned off by the occasional silliness on at-l will be able to have
serious discussions in the other group.

>  a. Because he thinks, perhaps wrongly, that he has something useful to say.

	And depending on what it is, there will be more places to say it.

>  b. Because he thinks the trail is important and wants to preserve and protect
>  it.

	And your ideas will be well received on a list which has that as one of
its goals.

>   c. Because he's been hiking for almost 70 years, and thinks that occasionally
>   he has suggestions and insights that newcomers may find useful.

	And those insights will be well received on a different list which has
that as one of /its/ goals.

>   d. Because he hopes, occasionally, to entice more advocates for the protection
>   and creation of buffers for this most remarkable trail institution that so
>   many devoted so many years creating.

	Then an occasional post saying 'Hey guys, we're currently having a
really useful discussion over on the environmental list' would achieve
that, without drowning out hiking talk on at-l.

>  e.  Because since the death of ATML, this is the largest, most dedicated and
> most friendly of the Internet trail forums.

	That won't change.

> f. All of the above.
>
> Weary

	well then, two lists seems to be the way to go - currently the folks
who tire of the environmental debates have no escape, just as the ones
who tire of the fluff have none. With two lists the people who want only
one or the other can choose what to read, and the rest of us can belong
to both. The total volume won't be any greater - we'll just be better
focused.

	Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com