[at-l] Old time bear stories

I was thinking back to when I first was interested in the AT - mid '70's -
and remembered a presentation someone gave on bears on the trail back then.
I saw slides of shelters with chain link fence fronts and doors, and stories
of bears keeping the hikers awake all night beating on the fencing.
Anybody have stories like this?  When did they get things turned around?

Chuck Kichline
http://www.kichline.com/chuck