[at-l] First ever trip report (WARNING: LONG!)

I had the opportunity to go on a 3-day hike on the Knobstone
Trail in IN this weekend.  It is the first time I've ever done
anything other than dayhiking ... I wasn't lyin' when I said I'm
a newbie!  I know I'm doing this backward; I should have posted
a gear list *prior* to my leaving, but I thought I'd share what
I carried in, what I carried out, and what happened in between.

~ Carried in ~
My pack weighed in at @ 15 lbs, with 1 liter of water and food.

1 Mt. Washington pad
North Face Cat's Meow Endurance bag rated at 15*(its first hike,
too!)
Rain poncho
parka shell
heavy fleece zip-up w/ custom pockets
2 pr. socks
2 pr. underwear
light fleece pullover
short sleeve coolmax shirt
wicking running tights
Bota bottle
hat
bandana
misc. personal items
compass
whistle
trail map
Leki poles (borrowed)
~~~~~~~~~~
a ton of anticipation, excitement and joy ...
a heavy load of the unknown, self-doubt, questions, fears ....

I was with a(n experienced) hiking partner, so we shared gear,
such as a tarp (didn't need it) and stove, first aid kit, etc.
I know I must be omitting some things, but this covers most of
it.

We started out mid-afternoon on Friday at the Deem Lake
trailhead.  [note to self:  *buy* *watch* *today*!]  As I put on
my (borrowed) backpack, I was awash with an indescribable
feeling; somehow knowing instinctively that perhaps long-held
notions may be swept away with each step before me.  The weather
was perfect:  a gentle rain and temperature maybe mid-50's, not
much wind ... it was a soft day.  As I set foot on the trail, I
crossed a threshhold; its real significance just now beginning
to sink in as I am back in familiar surroundings.

I was first struck by the quietness, always so welcome when I am
out.  Only the sound of rain and birds and footsteps ... nothing
else.  The air smelled and tasted so fresh, and yet again I was
taken aback by the ease with which my whole inner rhythm slows
when I'm outside.

I was told (warned?!) about the difficulty of the KT, and yes,
it is a butt-kicker often.  <smile> I was terrified more than
once, and readily admit it. (fear of heights is a bugger!)  But
it is kind in one way:  the trail is wonderfully soft and leafy,
not rocky at all.  [One of the interesting things for me is that
since this was my very first backpacking trip, I have no frame
of reference for this experience, so it's difficult for me to
put this trail in context with other trails.  I hope to rectify
that problem soon!]

The goal for the first night was a spot to camp @ 7 miles from
the trailhead.  We did a little blue-blazing to get there
(sorry!) but did arrive before dark.  And as we continued
forward, with each mile, sometimes each step, I learned
something new ... about hiking, about gear issues, about the
importance of "relentless forward motion", about myself.  What
an incredible, life-affirming experience it is to do something
completely new!!  Each step was like a new frontier being
crossed for me.  And the sight of the campsite brought
indedcribable joy with its absolute loveliness.  It was a rocky,
moss-covered ledge on a ridge with unbelievable vistas all
around.  The rain had stopped, we were sheltered from the wind,
and life felt so very good.  I was happily spent; completely
savoring every moment.  We set up camp, and didn't need the
tarp.  A Lipton noodle/rice dinner combination was shared in
companionable *relative* silence; it tasted better than almost
anything I've ever eaten ~ I took great relish in each hot
spoonful.  After a time, the moon rose right before us, with
that lovely, warm, champagne color; it was nearly full.
Ahhhhhhhhh, bliss!

My sleeping bag was wonderful; kept me very cozy on a chilly,
crisp, mostly cloudless night.  I slept well when I slept, but I
kept waking up because I didn't want to miss  a thing.  The moon
was right above us, through bare silhouetted branches, and I
just couldn't stop gazing at it.  I knew I'd regret the missed
sleep about 4:00 the next afternoon, but I can catch up at here
at home.

The next day didn't start real early, but it was perfect again,
this time, sunny and upper 40's, low 50's.  This day the goal
was Bowen Lake at @ 13 miles.  This part of the trail has a lot
of big ups and downs.  Yes. It. Does.  I was sorely tested (no
pun intended!) physically and especially mentally.  I think it
was harder to surmount the obstacles *I* placed before me than
the ones on the trail.  But I did it.  Someone compared this
trail to parts of the AT in NC ~ I have no way of knowing that,
but for those of you that do, that piece of information might be
helpful.  What a day!  I will *never* forget it.  Great
difficulties = great rewards ~ what a concept!  Beautiful, newly
greening forest all around; hepaticas blooming, bird calls of
every kind, and a mighty tough trail.  It all takes my breath
away from the glory of it.  At the end of the day we bushwacked
straight up a hill (another self-questioning moment!) to an
overlook of Bowen Lake.  We set up again, without tarp, and
couscous and lentils was the extraordinary culinary delight for
the evening.  I was very tired and very happy.  And surrounded
by such wonders ...

Day 3 started earlier than day 2, again perfect weather, this
time overcast.  We were blessed with three perfect days.  We
headed back south.  What had seemed impossible just a day
before, now seemed ... do-able.  The state of constant movement,
establishing a rhythm, brought to me a singular feeling of
oneness with my surroundings, and I didn't want the journey to
end.  It was all so grand and glorious, and I did things I've
never done before, never thought I could.  At the end of the
day, my partner pulled (way!) ahead of me, and I waited at an
agreed upon location near a road while he fetched the car.  As I
sat there in the late afternoon, on a pine needle cushion, half
in the sun, half in the shade of a stately pine (great
temperature control, that!) reflecting on what had just
transpired over the three days, I was awestruck.  Overcome.  I'm
still trying to get my heart and mind around what I learned,
what I discovered, what it all *is.*  I wear my bruises,
scrapes, cuts and blisters as a cloak of *honor.*  With pride.
They, and a rock, along with my memories are the best souvenirs
ever.

~ Carried out ~
same gear
different me
So, this being my first trip report, and noting its length,
please "tuckerize" it ~~ I probably omitted some really
important stuff and included the superfluous, but the above is
what is clearest to me right now.  Thanks for reading!

Denise