[at-l] Need Help Choosing Backpack for AT

Those are good points. The problem I see for most hikers is that some store
clerk gets excited about getting a fat commission and sells a newbie some
bullet proof heavy monster backpack suitable for carrying a Minuteman
missile. They leave the store with $400 worth of 9 pound pack, which will
turn into 60 pounds if they fill it up with gear. If you can talk a newbie
into buying a pack without "features" and "bells & whistles," you are a
better man than me. I like to encourage folks to get together with another
hiker - since we all seem to own at least 2-3 packs. At the very worst,
most folks can find a place to rent or borrow a pack for a weekend.

This gives a newbie the chance to carry too much for a weekend, and
reevaluate what belongs in their pack as well as how little/much the
features really mean.

OrangeBug