[at-l] Need Help Choosing Backpack for AT

A slightly different opinion.  I think there are some reasons for
buying a pack first and then the rest of your gear.  The first is
that most people tend to fill the available space in their pack.
This is both good and bad as a big 7000 ci, 70 lb pack on the
AT might indicate.  But, if you get a 3500 ci pack, even if you
fill it, it won't be super heavy (assuming you leave the cast
iron skillet at home).  Second, have a good cook system, sleeping
bag/pad, tent/tarp/bivy, and nifty raingear is great, but without
a pack, taking such things on the trail might be a bit challenging.

So, what I would do (and did), is to buy a cheap pack in the
general size range for your intended purpose.  So, if your intended
purpose is to do long trips in the mountains, something in the
5000 ci range should be fine (unless you carry a lot of climbing
gear).  If you are doing a trip where you can resupply frequently
(like the AT), I'd go for something in the 3500 ci range.  You
can get away with smaller (3000 ci) or larger (4000 ci).
Get something with the fewest features possible.  I don't think
side zips or a sleeping bag divider are useful, but that is
my own preference.  The point is, not to pay, at first,
for a lot of features that, in the end, you won't care for.
Finally, while it is best to try things on in advance, many people
live in areas with either no or really crappy outdoor stores.
So, don't be afraid to mailorder.  My favorite place to mailorder
from is Mountain Equipment Co-op (cheap canadian prices, www.mec.ca),
Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com),
rei-outlet (www.rei-outlet.com), and MountainGear (www.mountaingear.com).

Since emails with advice and no specific recs are a pain, here are
a few.  MEC sells good, cheap packs at Canadian prices
(exchange rate is very favorable).  Something like the
Serratus Icefall or Alladin II is in the 3000-4000 ci range,
weigh around 3.5 lbs, and would run you between 120-150 USD.
MountainGear is having a sale of the Osprey Aether line.
Very light, supposedly dependable gear.  The Aether 60 would be a
good pickup.

Sorry for being longwinded.

Chris

Chris Willett