[at-l] Need Help Choosing Backpack for AT

JTW,

I have a Jansport Ranier external 4250 cu in, at 4 lb 2 oz. for the reg. =
It comes in tall also.  I am 5'5" and had to cut the frame down on mine b=
y almost 3 in. because of a short torso length.  It went from GA>PA in 99=
 and I loved everything about it (except that it kept a "bumping" my rump=
 because I had not yet cut it down).  It is great to be so organized with=
 an external frame pack.   I also have a Coleman external frame, but deci=
ded not to carry it because of the weight.  A little over 5 lb.  This yea=
r, I have gone to the 1+ lb pack and it took some getting used to not bei=
ng so compartmentalized, but the weight savings is a great relief to the =
feet and back.  I did have to take it to an upholster and have the should=
er harness lowered by about 3 in. though, because the pack is made for a =
tall man, not a short or even average height woman.  =20

I look at pack size this way when trying to keep my weight down (woman's =
point of view )  It is like a handbag....the bigger bag you carry, the mo=
re "junk" you are going to throw in and carry around with you...."junk" y=
ou really don't need.  My packweight with the 1+ is at 28 lb. with 3+ day=
s of food and 64 oz. water.  Still room for improvement, still feel just =
as comfortable with the contents for cold and warm weather gear, and far,=
 far better than the 42 lb. weight of the Jansport in 99.  =20

Make sure you try on any pack you are considering (fully loaded). It will=
 save you money and pain.

SnowBear