[at-l] Book Question

In a message dated 3/31/02 8:06:36 PM, saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

<< I've been looking at AT books on Amazon that I haven't read yet.  Has
anyone read any of the following and what was your opinion?

Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery: A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail

    ** I am about 2/3 of the way through this one, and I have to say that I
absolutely love it!!!  It has more detail then any AT book I have ever read
and it is very well written!  It could very well end up at the top of my list
of AT books!!

A Walk for Sunshine : A 2,160 mile expedition for charity on the
Appalachian Trail

    ** Another book I really liked!  There wasn't as much day to day detail
as I like, but the style of writing made it a joy to read, and the section on
doing a thru hike for charity was really helpful.  This is another book I
haighly suggest.

A Time to Walk : Life Lessons Learned on the Appalachian Trail >>

    *** This one, in all honesty, I didn't finish.  It isn't a trail book or
journal so much as a motivational book.  He takes life lessons such as 'don't
judge a book by it's cover' and uses his trail experiences to illuminate and
expound on what he learned.  I am sure that it is very well done if that is
the type of thing you are loking for, but if you want an honest accounting of
a thru hike, this isn't one.
    And while I am at it, let me recommend Adrienne Hall's A Journey North.
It is half trail journal, and half naturalist/history guide.  The history
didn't do a lot for me, but the hiking stuff was great!  This was the first
book I read about thru hiking that truly gave me a glimpse of how hard it is.
 I learned a lot from this book!  Hope all of this was helpful!  Anna