[at-l] Ticks and Pequots

Down at the bottom of the message list is the following quote:
Archives: http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/ That would be the
archives.

Next Lyme disease is pretty much a concern around here. I would
encourage folks to be more concerned about Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever for
anyone south of Harper's Ferry. It kills, and does it quickly with
great nastiness. As you get north into PA and point east, Lyme becomes
more of a risk. When it happens, it tends to be a bit more subtle, but
can still be pretty nasty.

The Lyme vaccine has become so controversial that you probably aren't
going to get that last injection. The drug company has pulled it from
the market due to lack of interest and many concerns that risks from
the vaccine may be as significant or more than from Lyme disease.

Prevention is the course of action, using DEET, clothing designed to
avoid letting ticks hitch a ride (gaitors, long sleeves and pants),
avoiding sitting on grass, and sponge bathing at least every other day.
The tick needs to be attached at least 48 hours to increase the chance
for the infectious agent to get into you. The deer tick is so small
that it is easy to miss, even if you enjoy redneck foreplay. Simply
wipeing yourself throughly with a wet wash cloth is very likely to
remove the tick before you get infected.

If you do find a tick on you, there are some folks who suggest the use
of a tetracycline as a single dose to help prevent even the small risk
of contracting the disease. Talk with your real world doc when he
doesn't have the Lymerix for your third injection. In any case, you
have very little risk of significant Lyme infection if you do get a
tick, as a result of the 2 injections.

Bill...