[at-l] glasses was OT Lasik

At 08:05 PM 3/31/02 -0500, Jean-Paul Miller wrote:
>what is all this distance reading stuff anyway.. i thought you wanted a
>certain "zoom" on your eye so it was ok at both distance and reading.  why
>pick one or the other..... why not take that natural middle ground?

Ability to focus at varying distances (which is what I think you mean by
"zoom") is the ideal situation but when one gets older the lens of your eye
becomes less flexible.  It is the ability of the lens to flex that allows
you to change the focus from near to far.  At 57 I can no longer see
sharply closer than 11-12" or beyond 12-15'.  It's relative of course.  I
can still see well enough to drive without glasses but in my teens and
early 20s I could see from about 4 inches out to infinity tack sharp.  I
have the middle ground you speak of but if I were trying to read fine print
on a colored area of a map in dim light or to distinguish exactly what that
object is on the mountain side over there, I'd have a hard time and need my
glasses.

sAunTerer