[at-l] iodine and illness

Delurking to comment on the iodine issue--if you're healthy it should not
be a problem, but if you have a genetic predisposition to a particular form
of thyroid disease (called Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common form of
hypothyroidism), taking PolarPure-type concentrations of iodine can cause
the disease to manifest. I have this illness and sure enough, it kicked in
after only 2 weeks on the Long Trail, using Polar Pure. I had no idea that
I had the gene for this disease until I got sick.

How do you know if you're predisposed to this illness? The gene, which is
fairly common, runs in families, along with diabetes and rheumatoid
arthritis. So if you have several relatives who have thyroid problems,
diabetes, or rheumatoid arthritis, be careful. Also, it's about eight times
more common in women than in men.

How do you know if you're developing active hypothyroidism? You get really
tired, slowed-down, get cold easily, your skin gets really dry, and you
feel really stupid. Basically it slows down your entire metabolism, so
everything in your body is affected. Treatment is easy and has no side
effects--you just take a pill every day for the rest of your life to
replace what your body would be making if your thyroid worked properly. It
takes a few months to get back to normal, but then you're fine.

Polar Pure is a great product and I wish I could use it. Again, most people
don't have to worry. But I now use a Katadyn filter, which (unlike some
filters) does not put any iodine into the water. It's heavier than Polar
Pure and some other filters, but it beats being sick.

Happy (and healthy) hiking,
Grace

OrangeBug wrote:

I'd like to know why 6 months of iodine is seen as "not real good for
the old system." It isn't exactly the tastiest water, but I don't know
that iodine in the concentrations used has a realistic risk of any sort
for real live hikers and other humans. It should not have significant
effect independently on thyroid function.

I carry Polar Pure and an inline filter. I have also carried a PUR
Hiker. I have also drunk deeply straight from streams. I have heard
complaints about every water treatment option, as well as great
recommendations for each.

I just think there are many choices, all of them with some risks and
some benefits. Until we find hikers' bodies littering the landscape in
various poses of hyperthyroidism, water-borne bacterial gastroenteritis
or water contaminated Superfund Sludge poisoning, there is not much
reason to be real exercised over any or none of these choices.

Bill...