[at-l] Ticks and Pequots

While taking my morning shower yesterday (Saturday), I discovered an
engourged deer tick on the lower portion of my left leg.  I had not been
hiking, not working in the yard, not outside for any purpose other that to
walk to my car.  My wife and I drove a visitor from France - Laurent - to
Ledyard CT to visit the Pequot Indian Museum.  We did have a short walk from
the parking lot to the museum but it was over paved parking lot and paved
walk ways.  But that must be where I picked up the tick.

I have dealt with ticks many times.  My friends all tell me it is from my
frequent hikes but I have never found a tick on my body after or during a
hike dispite hundreds of miles of hiking in New England.  All of my tick
encounters have been near home.  Probably right in my own back yard.

I have had one long term bout with Lyme Disease so I am aware of the dangers
and need to notify my doctor.  This morning the bite area was beginning to
show the typical bulls eye red infection.  I will need to make a call
tomorrow when my doctor is back in the office.  I have often wondered if a
person can become imune to Lyme Disease after having the disease once.

The Pequot Museum was wonderful.  There is a Cinema called "The Witness"
which is very much like "The Trail Of Tears" movie shown in Cherokee.  A
Pequot Brave was killed by Dutch Traders.  In retaliation the Pequots killed
an English Soldier.  The English asked for the heads of the four Pequots
responsible.  The result was a viscious war in which most of the Peqouts were
slaughtered, men women and children.  The survivors were sold as slaves to
other tribes and to Colonists.  One young brave was appointed as the Witness
to tell the story of the incident.  That is the basis for the movie.  It was
very well done.  Great music.  Great scenery, good acting, very realistic
battle scenes.  Very Authentic costumes.  In the museum there is a
reconstruction of the Pequot Village and an audio tour of the sight.  I will

                                        Art