[at-l] OT Gettysburg????

I grew up in Mechanicsburg, PA about 30 miles from Gettysburg and have
hiked around the battlefield many times.

If I only had a half day to spend I'd be sure to go to Little Round Top
(small hill, end of the Union line, best part of the movie Gettysburg)
and also see the field where Picketts Charge happened from both the
Union side and from the Confederate side.

If you felt like taking a brief hike you can walk across the field and
back (probably a mile total) and ponder what it was like to be a part of
the charge.

If you wanted to get an overview of the battle there's an electric map
presentation at the visitor center and lots of museum artifacts. This
has been around for decades and a new visitor center is to be
constructed. Also in a nearby building is the Cyclorama which is a big
round painting of the battle but I'd skip it with limited time.

I felt so strongly about seeing Little Round Top that I made sure to
take my hiker buddies there to see it during a zero day on our
thru-hikes (1999). Unfortunately the rangers were PO'd because we were
there after visiting hours. Fortunately, he had a soft spot for
thru-hikers and let us go with a warning.

Feel free to ask if you need any more info.

Citrus