[at-l] OT (LASIK)

At 05:24 PM 3/30/02 -0500, Jean-Paul Miller wrote:

>i like my glasses.. i have been wearing them most of my life and liek the
>wind protection they supply and the general eye protection the few times i
>have not worn them in recent history i have foudn my eyes tear and water to
>no end and feel very dry and raw. i could also not count how many times my
>glasses have taken the blow of a tree branch or somethign wisssing toward my
>eye.

Non-prescription sunglasses can do a lot of those same things and if they
get broken it's no big deal.  The problem I have is that I hike warm.  I
don't just sweat, I radiate.  On a cool day or when walking into a cool
area my glasses fog so badly I'm better off without them.  Of course my
vision isn't very bad.  I can still pass the driver's eye exam without them
(you don't need 20/20 to drive) but I wear trifocals (yes, I said *tri*)
because I'm over 50 and my eyes don't focus like they used to.  The middle
section is plain glass.   I see sharply from about 1 ft to about 12-15
feet.  Things farther out are only slightly fuzzy, enough to be annoying
when someone says "what kind of bird is that?".  I can see the bird okay
but is it's over 50 feet away I can't tell for sure what it is.  I'd like
to do the surgery.  A guy I used to know had one eye adjusted for reading
and the dominant eye for distance and he loved it.

sAunTerer