[at-l] A Question Of Trail (Complete Resend)

texas12step@hotmail.com writes:

> 12 Step) Property rights are not incompatible with protecting the
> trail from development so long as you're willing to bear
> the true cost of preserving wilderness.

    ~~~  I don't understand this. Are you saying we need to pay adequately
for these lands? Or are you suggesting that preserving a narrow corridor in a
remote range that wasn't ever prone to development, but is now a good
political proving ground for extortionate land ransoming, is somehow a threat
and needs to be resolved on the terms of a system that when given free reign
will inevitably result in destruction of virgin wilds? Again, the AT is meant
to spark thought over of the true cost of *not* preserving wilderness...

> There is also a weird anti-environmental trend
> > happening that is the sad result of the public being convinced
> > that it's a choice between $ and environment.
>
> 12 Step)   Aren't you guilty of promoting this belief with talk of
> "greasy bucks" and suchlike?

     ~~~  A buck becomes greasier and greasier when high powered, politically
connected lawyers make back room deals paid for by the developer while the
nation's showcase wilderness corridor gets short shrift for political
expediency by modern-day politicians who have lost their sense of
responsibility for the Trail and sold out for short-term popularity. These
people have aggressively attacked the AT and what it stands for. If you want
to see guilt, go look at the local towns peoples' words in the NPS review;
look at the developer's manipulation of public opinion and false speculations
over ski-area development he never intended; look at the meager, mild
reaction by ATC to a serious incursion in a prime AT location. You can't
possibly be seriously posing that this is our fault and we deserved being
hornswoggled by what is probably a predesigned and approved regional plan to
employ locals in home construction at the Trail's expense? You tell me then,
what would it have taken to preserve the AT on Saddleback?
     Remember here 12 Step, a multi-million dollar taxpayer payout was made
here to a man who is now changing his proposal in midstream and plans to
max-out under Saddleback. What were you saying about *us* again?

> >                                               Pure politics
> > and a sad circumstance of Americans coming to the choice
> > between progressive change and the same old way and choosing
> > the latter.
>
> >     Mr Breen appealed to greed and won.
>
> 12 Step)  This is true. It is also equally true that trail advocates
> appealed to greed and *lost.* They acted in the hope that
> if enough of them petitioned the government, they'd get the
> mountain and a chunk of the surrounding viewshed without
> having to pay for it. If the Trailplace campaign was any
> indication, most petitioners couldn't even restrain their
> *greed* to limiting the use of eminent domain to condemning
> only the minimum amount of land "mandated" by "law."

     ~~~   Without having to pay for it? What was given to Breen? There's
strong evidence that Breen had no means to build out that entire mountain. Do
you understand what that means? I'll tell you. That means a scam was
perpetuated in order to manipulate public feelings towards the AT in order to
fetch a higher price for his deal. We are not talking about a person who
understands the AT's mission and humbly respects it, we are possibly talking
about aggressive Trail destruction for profit with a big threat being posed
in order to raise the ransom. I am a person who does not describe the
precious and unique quest to preserve an east coast wilderness corridor as
"greed". That is an obscene interpretation. The Trail was designed to be a
place where man and his ways were prevented from doing what is being done
here to a protected zone. Why? Just look what happened here!!!
     Your last sentence reveals how little you understand about the AT. The
AT is more than just a thin corridor. The many people reached by 'Walk In The
Woods' begins to hint at it. What do I mean by that? I mean that the AT was
supposed to be held dear in the consciousness of Americans. Your wording
doesn't come close to touching on that. I can tell you one thing the AT isn't
supposed to be,  -that is, grinding ski machinery built up to the brink of a
former AT sweet spot in Maine and one of its highlights...

> 12 Step)   Don't try to dignify the acquisition of Saddleback by
> calling it a trade. Trade is not coerced.

     ~~~  And nature preservation as a concept is not dealt with or seen in
these primitive terms. You seem to deal from a legal concept central
viewpoint. If you want to see a fine example of the culmination of such
thinking go to urban New York and New Jersey. There is a place where the
status quo used the methods you espouse to determine what was right by their
sense of rights and propitiousness. There ain't much left in way of nature
down there, if you haven't noticed. These things don't happen in a vacuum.
Again, are you leaving the future of the AT up to a man who submits a false
speculation and doesn't give a rat's ass about the AT? What is your
suggestion for preserving the AT on Saddleback then? Is anybody who desires
allowed to propose a threat to the AT on their terms and then label the AT's
trying to preserve itself as "coercion". That seems like base reasoning to me
and sorrily devoid of any mention of the AT's higher conservation ethic. The
AT has to be where it is. It has no choice...

> 12 Step)  Really now, why do you care? It's not like it was *your* money
> or anything. Besides, what are "greasy bucks" to you compared
> to an undeveloped Saddleback? Are you saying that all that
> talk about the preciousness of the mountain was just so much
> horseschumer?

     ~~~   You're kidding (aren't you)? Intelligent people who care about the
AT know why that is important. This precedence will make it difficult to
acquire buffer zones in the future. Those are silly questions you ask.
Anybody who has a sound sense of the AT *knows* that what has happened here
will hurt the Trail. Just the fact that Saddleback will not be as virginally
wild as it is now is reason enough. I mean, that's fairly simple. What are
you arguing here, that it is OK and understandable that the Trail be boxed in
and diminished by encroachment? What kind of position is that to take for the
AT?  I'm sorry, but you should probably find out more about the AT and its
mission before you ask such questions...

> >                  I'm sure the ridiculous overpayment/ransom he
> > collected from the same irate taxpayers you cite here is now
> > being used to fund a huge sprawling development on Saddleback
> > in the AT's lap.
>
> 12 Step)  I did not refer to taxpayers.

   ~~~    Nor did you refer to the AT's written conservation intention...

> 12 Step)  Look, I don't think much of the Breens. I suspect that many
> of his supporters on the property rights side of things don't
> either. His use of political pull to take advantage of the
> government's deep pockets showed that he wasn't resisting on
> principle, but rather was playing the same game as the land
> grabbers. It's certainly not how I would've played the hand
> were I in Breen's position.

    ~~~  The purpose of the AT is to preclude the result we are seeing here
on Saddleback and preserve a rural environment for *all* Americans. I
guarantee you, with things the way they are, those areas will be
self-rewarding once they are preserved! You are only falling short of the
necessary end result in your analysis...

> 12 Step)  But that doesn't mean that his property rights are forfeit
> and shouldn't be defended.

     ~~~  What is happening right here is the exact same coal that was
burning in Benton's pipe up on Stratton. Nothing's changed. Breen, I have no
sympathy for him. He bought that land twenty years ago from Georgia Pacific.
He wasn't stupid, he knew what was on that land and what it meant. He simply
has no respect for the AT and what it stands for. He went for an AT kill on
that mountain and got it on a political platter. If you want to soften that
by running it through definitions of property rights and other excuses that
take us further and further from the real issue in order to make bulldozing
Saddleback acceptable, go ahead. That to me is anti-AT reasoning and
something I abhor...

> > How this comes down to us inciting the locals is beyond me
> > considering the circumstances we face now.
>
> 12 Step)  The locals aren't fools. They saw what was happening and
> realized that if Breen's property rights could be trampled
> in the name of protecting a footpath and its viewshed, then
> anyone's can. I know you believe it's irrelevant, but trail
> advocacy is earning itself a bad reputation in my neck of
> the woods. This is why the IAT in Maine is a road walk on
> public rights of way, while the ITS is allowed to pass
> through privately owned backcountry. A full Monty view of
> wind turbines from Saddleback may be another consequence.

   ~~~   First, the AT is a defined and recognized corridor with a specific
cause. Saying everybody's land rights were threatened is Wise-Use horsedoo.
Read the locals words in the NPS review. Those people were flat out
brainwashed by both Breen and political manipulators who convinced them AT
radicals were coming to take their families. From the words I read, I would
say you were being generous with their motivations. Myself, I think they fell
for pie in the sky money promises and got the fever in tight times. Breen, in
the meantime, promised them a cut of his huge take but then turned around and
put the hill up for sale. Are you seeing the picture here? "The locals aren't
fools"???
       What is happening is the people who are putting the *real* screws on
the locals have succeeded in convincing them that preserving a national
scenic trail is going to lead them to ruin. In the meantime, developers
building beyond water supply capacity have no threat to their "reputation".
They don't suffer the same moral scrutiny you give the AT here.

> > If anything your points validate a need to have taken harder
> > action (which is what TP was saying btw...)
>
> 12 Step) Like what?

    ~~~ Better Trail website participation for a desired goal. There's a time
to ditch the bad feelings and egos and get together for the Trail's sake.
Saddleback should not have been sacrificed. By doing so the long-term AT
outcome was compromised, not improved. We should have gone to the trenches
and maybe Breen's ploy would have backfired. What do we have now?

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---