[at-l] mail drops or buy along the way

If you are a "picky" eater or have specific food requirements, then
maildrops are definitely the way to go.  I had a gazillion (26 to be exact)
maildrops and I was sorry.  If I did it again, I would probably have two -
to change out equipment.  Or maybe a couple more but not really for basic
food requirements, but for stuff like maps.

I might have some other post office stops scheduled just to get random "fan"
mail (ie. Mom's brownies  ;-)  After all, even with no mail drops, I'll
probably have a bounce box.

It's nice to be able to buy what you want at the moment rather than having
to make do with what you thought you were going to want a year ago.  Also,
it's nice not to have 6 months worth of oatmeal sitting around your
support's house after you decide within the first week that you no longer
have any desire to fire up the stove in the morning.  :-)

The down side, of course, may be lack of variety.  With maildrops, I would
have five totally different meals for each five day period (or so).  When
buying a pound box of pasta, that's not going to be possible unless there's
someone else to split it with.

But, I wasn't nearly as picky an eater as I thought I would be - yes, I
really can eat cheese crackers for three days in a row - and know I can make
do with the minimal groceries available at Mom and Pop stores along the way.

Here was my maildrop listing - for your amusement.  :-)

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/maildrops.html

Mara
Stitches, GAME99