[at-l] Sleeping pad, My finaly decision... I think

Hey,

When you try it out let me know how you carry it!  I have a 25" REI pad
that I bought for winter camping, but I was never able to figure out a
good way of carrying it.  It was too big to take inside my pack, and it
projected off the sides if I tried to carry it crossway outside (and
threatened to catch on everything).  I could have carried it vertically
on the back of my pack, but I needed that space for my snowshoes, and it
would have caught on stuff when crawling under trees (which happens a
lot in winter hiking).

I know exactly what you mean about wanting the extra five inches...
there's nothing like trying to sleep with two elbows planted firmly in
the snow!  And you're a lot taller than I am!

I ended up using a 20" pad and adding "wings" where my arms touched the
ground.  That worked fairly well.  The other theory, of course, is to
use your "extra" clothes for additional ground insulation...
unfortunately if I went that route I'd have to start carrying extra
"extra" clothes... there never seem to be enough to go around!

-- Jim