[at-l] Walking Quote of the Day Plus SomeThoughts on Truth

This is a good post, but I still don't like the implicit premises -
namely, (1) that it is easy to define what "walking all the white
blazes" means; and (2) that the poster "forgives" those who fail the
above definition but go ahead and apply for the 2000 miler
"certification."  Having said that, I also agree 100% with the stated
premise that too many times in society today we tend to allow more and
more people to get away from personal responsibility and honestly by
saying things like: "well, their heart was in the right place;" or
"well, they did the job 90% ok."  These competing points - the need to
adhere to a strict standard of honesty and responsibility, and the
recognition that there are multiple HONEST differences of opinion as to
what constitutes "hiking every blaze" on the AT - trouble me.  As I
noted in a prior post, it would have NEVER occurred to me that walking
NOBO into a shelter on the southern blue blazed entrance/exit trail, and
then out the next morning on the northern blue blazed entrance/exit
trail would be viewed as "not walking all the white blazes" on the AT -
yet once I came to the Silers Bald Shelter, where doing that involves
missing a good hunk of the AT itself, and another shelter like that near
Damascus, then I began to see the other point.  But then you get down to
fairly ridiculous things like which side of the car did you enter/exit
on when hitching in/out of a town [thus maybe forgetting to traverse
100% of the width of the road pavement, which is part of the AT at that
crossing] - yet I found myself starting to fixate on that, too . . . but
as you learn more and more of these things while walking along, then you
can end up beset by ridiculous internal passion plays on whether you
need to go back and re-do that road crossing back in GA where you were
not yet contaminated by this issue, and thus have no idea whether you
got out of the car on the north side of the road, and thus failed to
walk the width of the road there, or whether you might have taken an
exit path from a shelter right on the trail that resulted in you missing
40 feet of AT Trail.

My point is simple:  It's not that simple to be 100% honest and true to
yourself, because I don't care what they say, and how much they protest
to the contrary, even the purest of the pure did NOY walk every
centimeter of the AT - somewhere, they stepped outside the worn trail
path, or on some rocky part, or high on some totally rocky ridge on a
foggy day, they wandered a foot or two "off path" - just as all of us
humans did.  And thus, in the end, I come back to my religious analogy,
which is right appropriate as we approach this Easter weekend:  Jesus
came to forgive us ALL for our sins, and relative to him and God, we are
all equally far down in the gutter of sin - so does it really make sense
to expend huge amounts of energy parsing out relative rules re defining
what "pure" is as to the AT when NONE of us can measure up to a true,
literal definition of "purity?"  I, for one, respect Saunterer's basic
point re the need for honestly and self-responsibility, but I reject the
implicit premise that any of us mortals can define AT hike purity, and
thus in the end I deplore all the efforts to define and parse it out,
for they lead to too much rancor, unnecessary guilt, second-guessing by
hikers en-route, etc.

Lets use Easter as a trigger point for easing off on the purity debate,
and focusing on the wonderful feeling that comes from not bothering to
judge others on such an irrelevant issue, but instead, perhaps spend
more time talking about the things we all have in common, such as a
wonderous view of nature, and the crazy desire to long distance hike! :)

Hike on,

thru-thinker