[at-l] ?The Importance of the Certificate?

I was thinking today about this whole debate (yeah I know, I was supposed
to be working.  I did some of that too) and it occurred to me that prior to
attending the Gathering last October I had met maybe 6 AT thru-hikers.  How
did I know they were thru-hikers?  They old me so or someone else told me
they were.  At the Gathering of course, I met many thru-hikers.  How do I
know?  They told me so or I recognized their names from AT books I'd
read.  But... and I find this interesting in light of all the fuss over the
ATC rules for getting the certificate, I have yet to see a 2000 miler
certificate and the only 2000 miler patch I can recall seeing was in a
photo in the Appalachian Adventure book.  I tend to take people at their
word unless I have reason to believe that they are not truthful and once I
have evidence of their untruthfulness it would take more than a certificate
to change my mind.

sAunTerer