Re[4]: Re [at-l] Picking on Bill and other stuff at-l

"OB's memory is good and corresponds with what I saw." reports David H. in
reporting on OB's claim that demonstrations against Bryson were planned for the
Gathering in 2000 in Hanover, N. H. and that's probably why Bryson refused to
show up.

Wingfoot certainly didn't like Bill Bryson. The list was divided on the subject.
But Wingfoot had even less liking for the Gathering and ALDHA, which he thought
had not paid him proper respect.

 Bryson's supposed appearance was not officially announced until a day or so
 prior to the Gathering, though rumors of an appearance began to appear a few
 days earlier. A lot of people wanted to meet the guy and ask him questions --
 including me. But I don't recall any threats of "demonstrations."

 The room where he was supposed to speak was pretty much filled with people, but
 I didn't see any anti Bill Bryson signs or other evidence of a "demonstration."

 I have no knowledge of the state of the AT-List at the time, but given the
 flattering messages from members now, somehow I find it hard to believe that
 many would have been impolite to Bryson had he kept his promise and showed up.

 Given the comments I hear today, I suspect Bryson would have walked into a love
 fest. As it was the vast majority of the people who went to meet Bryson praised
 his book -- even after he had refused to show up.

 Weary