[at-l] The Everglades (REALL

KellyGoVols  wrote:
  > She taught me the difference between Anhingas and their cousins the
  > coro, coran, coranda (crap, help me Teresa) and pointed out things that
  > I would have never seen.
  > ---

Cormorant. Both the cormorant and the anhinga dive underwater to hunt
for fish. The anhinga has a longer, straight, pointed beak which it uses
to spear the fish. The cormorant's beak is slightly shorter and is
curved down at the end. (Curved=cormorant. I won't forget it now.) They
both are frequently seen standing on dry land or tree branches near the
water with their wings spread, drying them out after diving. (I'm sure
Kelly has a picture of this.)

Growing up, we always called them "sea turkeys." I don't know if I saw
mostly anhingas or cormorants though. As a kid, I didn't know the
difference.

Teresa (right at home with the 'gators)