Fwd: Re[2]: [at-l] Seriously Speaking....

Weary wrote:
>The fact that the question has to be asked, illustrates the absurdity of
>the ATC "rules." It's obvious that the rules were drafted without any
>thought.

Uh ---- Bob?  Maybe you weren't there, but other people were.  There was a
lot of thought given to those rules.  And they were a specific answer to
Wingfoot's charges that the ATC was lax about the standards for thruhiker
awards.  In fact, the rules were drafted at the time that WF was claiming
that Earl Shaffer wasn't a thruhiker cause he hadn't met Windfart's standard
for thruhikers.  I was asked for an opinion about the wording when I went to
Harpers Ferry at one time. If memory serves, this was in the winter/spring
of '99.  They weren't published right away though. And before they were, WF
let his alligator mouth overload his canary ass and publicly admitted that 4
of his thruhikes had failed to meet his own standards.  The "rules" were
finally published while we were on the CDT --- and WF immediately went
ballistic and recanted his "confessions of impurity".  I got the story a
couple days later while I was in Twin Lakes CO. I remember it well cause it
was so damn funny and I really needed a good laugh at the point.

The rules - were specifically crafted to cover Earl Shaffer's first
thruhike. I don't personally think they're all that great - but they're
workable. Except for those who get anal and take them too literally and
start hair-splitting.  To answer someone's question from yesterday - I don't
know what I'll do when I hike the trail again - maybe the rules will change
- maybe I won't care - maybe .... whatever.  That's in the unknowable
future.  I can promise you this though - a lot of those who today claim they
won't ever sign that paper if they don't "deserve" the patch by their
ultimate "purity" will someday change their minds.  That's also in the
unknowable future.  And whether any of them actually do so or not isn't my
business - or anyone else's.  As someone once said - "Frankly, my dear - I
don't give a damn."

Hell - as long as we're here -- someone suggested that the ATC get out of
the award business.  Sounds good -- but -- then how are you gonna know how
many thruhikers are out there?  And how many finish?  And how to plan for
the crowds - and what facilities will be needed in the future - and...
and... and....  There are at least 30 questions that require the number of
thruhikers as an input to the solution.  And knowing how many pass through
Springer and Harpers Ferry is only one part of the answer.  The "semi-final"
answer is - how many apply for the patch?  "Semi-final"?  Yeah - there are
people who wait 20 years or more to send in their applications.  If it's
important enough for people to finally do that after 20 years or more -- I
think it may have a little more importance and deserve a little more respect
than some of those on the list are giving it.

A lot of the crapola that's been dumped here this week is a residue of atml
- and a lot of those who have been on at-l since Adam was a pup talked this
stuff out and rejected it a long time ago.  That was one of the differences
between this list and atml.

Bottom line - if you can't respect someone else's hike - regardless of how
they did it or what they believe - the you just might not be too happy here.
  Someone once said of me that I'm extremely and militantly intolerant of
intolerance.  They were right.

Cool - Quit bitching about it and ---- Just Do It.

>What, the hell,is the ATC trying to say? I suspect, ATC has no idea.
>Someone spent 30 seconds drafting something that no one in the organization
>has seriously thought about since.

I think we covered that - it took them about 6 months and a lot of argument.

>Jim seems to think it was Wingfoot who forced the ATC to adopt these silly
>requirements. I doubt that. But Wingfoot is not now a serious ATC player. I
>hope that will change. But regardless, he isn't now.

And we covered this one, too.  Like some other people, ATC thought WF would
have more staying power.  They should have paid more attention to his past
history.

>The basic problem is that neither thru hiking nor 2000-miler status are
>very high on the ATC screen. The ATC spends its time dealing with
>intrusions into the trail corridor and viewshed, battling NPS bureaucrats,
>trying to raise the funds needed to keep the organization afloat, figuring
>out how to protect the trail with buffers....

To a very large degree that's true.  They put a little more time into the
thruhiker thing than you believe, but not enough.

>And rightly so. I wouldn't engage in this distraction, if I thought it
>would take more than 20 seconds of rational discussion to correct.

As I said - Just Do It.  Come up with proposed rules - if I think they'll
work, I'll back them and I'm sure others will as well.  But be prepared for
the same kind of nitpicking discussion that y'all have given the ATC rules.
THERE IS NO ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL RULE THAT WILL FIT EVERYONE.  There never is.
One-size-fits-all fits only one person -- the one who thought it was a good
idea in the first place.

But you're sure welcome to give it a shot  :-))

Walk softly,
Jim