Re[2]: Re [at-l] Picking on Bill and other stuff at-l

"... This list and others were quite "fussed" about him. There were many
messages about plans to demonstrate or interrupt him, to demonstrate the
severity of the "fuss. I am certain he found a better use of his time." reports
Orange Bug.

What a puzzle, Orange Bug. I recall nothing of the sort. I was an active member
of that "other" list at the time. I don't recall any serious discussion of
Bryson's plans to appear at all -- other than Wingfoot proclaiming that the
Gathering was so insignificant that it was beneath his concern -- or something
like that-- even though it was "rumored" that Bryson had agreed to attend.

I showed up because Sly had managed to eke out a belated opportunity for me to
show my slides of the trail -- and I can never seem to resist. Has this list
evolved so dramatically since I arrived that what in 2000, as Orange Bug seems
to be claiming, from what was bunch of  belligerent opponents of Bryson to a
point where most folks now praise him?

Or, perhaps, it was some other group Orange Bug is referring to -- not ATML or
AT-List. If so, Orange Bug, please let us know who it might have been that was
so incensed that they posted "many messages about plans to demonstrate or
interrupt him."

I know from personal experience that their were no such messages on ATML. I
haven't checked the at-list archives. But somehow I doubt if I'll find many
there either.

Even without Bryson there, it was a pretty calm group. If I remember right, I
was the principal opponent at the session where Bryson was supposed to appear --
and didn't. I said as I have said repeatedly on this list that I thought Bryson
totally missed the essence of the long distant hiking experience.

Almost everyone else seemed to think that because he had made them laugh, that
was enough.

Weary