[at-l] Helping a newbie: Progress report 2.

I met with Bob on Monday evening.  This was our second official meeting
about his thru-hike.

He has finished the thru-hiking papers and is now reading Walking the
Appalachian Trail by Larry Luxenberg.  I am now looking for the next reading
assignment.  I want a good 'overview' book.  The 2 oz backpacker is a little
lean, and I didn't care very much for The Backpacker's Handbook 2nd edition
by Chris Townsend.   My first choice would be Fletcher's Complete Walker
III, but it is very out of date gear wise.  On the other hand, it is full of
easy to read information, and having just finished re-reading it, I think it
might be acceptable.  Opinions welcome.

He brought the frameless pack that I had lent him, and an ALICE pack that
someone else had given him.  The ALICE pack had 48 pounds of steel hand
weights in it.  He is evidently ahead of me on this aspect of his training,
and has been training with this pack and this weight for awhile, unknown to
me.  The ALICE frame, it was immediately obvious to me, was far too small
for his body.  (It's a SMALL, and Bob is 6'4" or something...)  I asked him
how it was working for him.  He said, "It rides a little low."  He wasn't
using the hip belt, just slinging the pack by the shoulder straps and
marching along.  No problems.

Obviously, a tougher man than I...

I asked him not to do that anymore, and showed him how to stuff the pack I
had lent him with the weights and pillows.  If he's already training with
48+ pounds, I'm not going to discourage that.  I showed him how to adjust
the pack and use the hip belt.  He commented that it was much more
comfortable.  Even this pack, which is larger than the ALICE, is still small
for him.  It does fit, but at almost the maximum adjustments.  Any
suggestions on packs for very large/tall people?  I can always put him into
a large ALICE... :)

He is very anxious to be on the trail, 'practicing'.  I told him that we
can't practice until we have enough gear.  The next meeting will probably
involve shopping.  I'm not too worried about clothes yet, but we need to get
a sleeping bag, shelter, stove, cook set, and sundry items.  Our first
overnights will probably be in early May.

I'm working on the equiptment list, and I'm reasonably satisfied.  I'll post
it when I get that far.  I am mostly modern-gear ignorant, having simply
used whatever was at hand when I needed something.  I don't really want to
submit Bob to the sufferings of my apathy, so here are some more questions
for the list:

BTW: The generally recommended Thorlo socks have been a blessing, but the
Bridgedales seem to do better in the hot humidity down here...

Recommendations on gloves/mittens?

Recommendations for packs for very tall/large individuals.

After much soul searching (and reading), I have recommended the Hennessy
Safari hammock to him.  He is anti-bivy because he would feel too confined.
I am anti-tent to a degree and have switched to hammock/tarp use for my own
hiking.  The question is:  What is the lowest temperature you Hennessy users
would still use your hammock.  My experience with them is mostly in warm
weather.  The reflectix pads seem to be the way to go, but how low can you
go?  This is his biggest fear about using a hammock.

That's all for now.  More to follow.

Thanks,

Shane